Backchat’s (Responsible) Election Day Drinking Game
July 1st 2016
In the grand tradition of Australian political reporting, FBi’s politics and current affairs show Backchat has come up with an election day drinking game to keep you entertained as the results roll in on Saturday night.
Being a community radio station means we have to be a bit responsible sometimes, and play by a few rules (The Community Broadcasting Codes of Practice, to be precise). We support lots of great local music, we give language warnings when there are bad words in a song, and we never “present as desirable the misuse of alcohol”.
So with these rules in mind, we hereby present… Backchat’s Responsible Drinking Game for Election Day 2016!
You may take a shot of your chosen liquid:
– Every time you hear the words “swing”, “towards” and “Palmer United Party” in the same sentence
– Every time a Hollywood A-lister says the word “Barnaby”
– Every time a Coalition MP does not mention “jobs and growth”
– Every time the Greens win a lower house seat
– Every time Tanya Plibersek’s new pet rat makes a live appearance
– Every time Rob Oakeshott accurately assesses his own importance
– Every time you find a discarded Liberal How To Vote card on the streets of Grayndler without a meticulously drawn penis and testicles on it
– Every time a Bill Shorten zinger gets an actual lol from someone in your living room
– Every time Dio Wang refers to himself as “leader”
– Any time Bill Shorten and Malcolm Turnbull post a face swap
– Every time you notice someone looking wistfully into the middle distance and fondly recalling the prime ministership of
a) Kevin Rudd (1 shot)
b) Tony Abbott (5 shots)
c) Alfred Deakin (12 drams of Rawleigh’s Bonafide Colic Compound)
– Finish the case if James Mathison gets up in Warringah
We hope this helps get you through. If not, then turn the radio on, the TV off, and enjoy an evening of election-free radio from Adi Toohey, Spin the Bottle, Switch and Midnight Valentine.
Want more Backchat? Subscribe to the podcast.
Backchat: Police caution needed in COVID public health enforcement
Samantha Lee from Redfern Legal Centre spoke to Backchat about increased police powers during lockdown.
Backchat: To date or not to date within your faith?
A study last year found that one in three marriages were interracial, but when it comes to interfaith relationships, it’s a different story.
Gallery: School Strike 4 Climate 2021
The Backchat team attended the School Strike 4 Climate protest on Friday, May 21 2021.
Gallery: Free Palestine Nakba Day Rally 2021
The Backchat team attended the ‘#SaveSheikhJarrah, Free Palestine, Commemorate Al Nakba’ protest on Saturday, May 15 2021.
Gallery: Aboriginal Deaths In Custody Rally 2021
Backchat photographer Christopher Hanna captured the 30th Anniversary of the Royal Commission Into Aboriginal Deaths In Custody.
Backchat: #SAVEMYANMAR & The Myanmar Diaspora
“One day we were students doing TikTok and playing games, the next day we’re fighting…for our vote and our independence.”
Backchat: Why white feminism doesn’t stack up
“I feel like in some ways, I’ve been researching this book my whole life, unintentionally and unconsciously,” says Koa Beck.
Gallery: Invasion Day Sydney Rally 2021
The Backchat team captured the 2021 Invasion Day rally at Djarrbarrgalli.
The Delivery Riders Dying To Work
Tanita Razaghi reports on the preventable deaths of food delivery riders due to unsafe working conditions.