Preview :: East is East Night Market
August 22nd 2013
You’re surrounded by badges you could make with $2 bucks in an afternoon, but they cost $200 a pop.
The ‘handmade’ banner above that table seems to be the only handmade thing about it.
You could do with a drink, but they point blank refuse to jazz up your orange juice with anything but a squeeze of lemon.
You’ve come searching for some kind of ‘unique’, but it seems like everyone has chipped in for one mass online order and are all stocked up on identical wares.
WHERE ARE YOU?
WHAT IS THIS FAMILIAR RETAIL HELL?
Well it’s not the Darlinghurst East is East night market, where nothing is over 100 bucks, nothing is imported and wait for it, there’s a bar.
And no, I haven’t taken a whole lot of mystery pills and woken up as Alice in craft wonderland. This is really happening.
It’s a market without the rip offs and that shonky reseller who won’t issue receipts, where quality and creativity are paramount.
Organiser Liz Raleigh gave us her top 5 market-musts, for top-notch, original, vintage and locally-made pieces that you won’t find anywhere else.
1. Milk Saloon – The deliciously colourful jewellery work of Emily Besser is quite simply stunning. It’s hard to find truly unique pieces these days and I love the Frida Kahlo-esque vibe of these beauties.
2. Annie Lou’s Closet – Anna Szorkovszy sells an amazing range of vintage clothing, hats and even swimwear. She’s all about sustainability and promoting individual style through a love and passion for vintage clothing.
3. Seventh Tree Soaps – Amy Ta’s soaps are out of this world. I don’t know what’s more beautiful, her soaps or her packaging (which she also individually hand makes). They’re almost too beautiful to use! She’s been doing big things internationally on Etsy, and it’s easy to see why.
4. Evyie – Ly Yin is behind the gorgeous emerging fashion label, Evyie. High quality, elegant and unique, her reasonable prices will make the high-street cry with envy.
5. YOLO – Does your baby need funking up? YOLO (You Only Live Onsie) make handcrafted onsies designed and reconstructed from pre-loved t-shirts. One-of-a-kind, eco-friendly statement pieces for your bub.
If that’s not some killer retail therapy to ease you into your Friday, well, there’s no helping you. The night markets take place every Thursday night at The Tap Gallery in Darlinghurst.
WHAT: East is East Night Markets
WHEN: Every Thursday from 6.30 pm (Go son go!)
WHERE: Tap Gallery, 278 Palmer Street, Darlinghurst
HOW MUCH: All goods under $100.00
More Info | More from Madeleine Clarke