In It Together: A COVID-19 Community Relief Directory
March 21st 2020
Image: Sophie Hill
In a time of crisis, supporting your friends, family and neighbours, and maintaining a connection to community, art and culture are top priorities. Here is a list of ways you can do exactly that.
2020 has already been an incredibly challenging year. It feels impossible to fathom all of the devastation and loss our community has faced during the multiple moments of crisis this year. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought parts of the world to a total standstill, and has turned many people’s lives upside down.
We’ve once again compiled a list of information and resources to help support ourselves and each other during this difficult time. Within this list you will find creative endeavours to help you stay connected to art and culture, an array of entertainment options to cure your isolation boredom, some reliable and easily digestible information on the coronavirus pandemic, simple ways to help communities impacted by this crisis, and some resources for times of emergency or hardship.
We’ve made an effort to highlight activities and initiatives by Australian creative communities, as we face unprecedented challenges in this time. To our wider music and arts community we say – we see you, we hear you and we will continue to support you in whatever way we can.
Before you make a donation, partake in a volunteer opportunity or sign a petition, we encourage you to do your own research and decide for yourself if it aligns with your values. This list is by no means exhaustive, but is designed to be a dynamic resource that we will update over the coming weeks as events unfold. If you have a contribution you’d like to make to this list, please get in touch via email@example.com. Additionally, if you’d like to offer a donation or some financial support to FBi Radio, you can click here. We’d be super grateful.
Stay safe, pals.
IN NEED OF ENTERTAINMENT OR DISTRACTION?
- Bandcamp Day: Bandcamp are waiving their revenue portions so that 100% of purchase proceeds go to artists, from 6pm Fri March 20 till 6pm Sat March 21.
- Isol-Aid Instagram Live Music Festival feat. Stella Donnelly, Angie McMahon, Julia Jacklin + more. Live via artists Instagram profiles, from 12pm Sat March 21 – 12am Sun March 22.
- Irregular Fit x ANTE pres. LAN Party. A COVID(eo) disco/quarantine rave/social distancing soiree, feat. Taruna, Kiminza, Ayebatonye + more. Sat March 21st, 5pm – 12am.
- Hayden James Backyard Livestream DJ Sets. 12pm, Sat 21 March, via Hayden James’ YouTube channel.
- The Social Distancing Festival. Run by Nick Green in Toronto, Canada, The Social Distancing Festival hosts livestreams of music, theatre, dance and other art events from across the globe.
- Room 2 Radio. Sydney’s first online night club, broadcasting weekly via Facebook and Twitch.
- Daily Dance Party with Betty Grumble. Dance parties every day at 10am via Instagram Live.
- Acoustic Pajama Parties with Vance Gilbert. Weekly jazz and folk sessions each Monday via musician Vance Gilbert’s Facebook page.
- LGBTI+ Elders Dance Club. Online dance party and discussion for queer elders, Sun March 22 at 2pm.
- Lockdown: A Static Vision Livestream. A six-hour live-stream of specially-curated feature films and shorts + e-chats, Q&As, and interviews. Fri 27 March, 6pm – midnight.
- CanceledCon. A free one day online creative event to bring together the creative community, feat. special guests, fun games, and ‘other assorted shenanigans’. Sat April 4, 8AM (Pacific Time).
- Closed on Monday Online Art Gallery.
- Pari Gallery Greenhouse Session #02. An online hangout and communal reading group via Google Hangout.
- Marc Rebillet Livestream Concerts: In lieu of his cancelled tour, musician Marc Rebillet is doing daily livestreamed performances via his Facebook page.
- Boiler Room TV. Video content of live club sets & films about club cultures.
- The Metropolitan Opera (New York City) is streaming operas for free.
- Paris Opera is streaming opera shows from their archive free of charge.
- dis.art. Claim 2 months FREE subscription and get access to talks and video content from leading artists and art thinkers.
- Sydney Opera House. FREE talks, performances and livestreams via the Sydney Opera House YouTube channel.
- Prototype. New and innovative contemporary Australian video art content.
- Campbelltown Arts Centre REAL REAL Series. A series of free livestreamed performances that examine the relationship between social media and real life.
- Runway Journal. Digital art magazine celebrating and highlighting experimental art practices.
- Le Cinéma Club. One free film streaming online each week, accessible globally, with special attention paid to short films.
- Oh You Pretty Things. Filmmaker Gary Hustwit is streaming one of his documentaries for free each week worldwide during the COVID-19 crisis.
- NEPTUNE COVID-19 COLLECTIVE DREAM JOURNAL. NEPTUNE will be collecting and publishing dreams and hallucinations from the time period earmarked COVID-19 to create a collective narrative of experiences.
- Instagram cooking lessons with Antoni Porowski (Queer Eye).
- Overland Magazine. An online radical literary magazine.
- Disclaimer (Liquid Architecture). Online contemporary art magazine.
- Voiceworks Magazine. National online literary journal by and for Australian youth.
- Running Dog. Online contemporary art platform.
- Assemble Papers. Online publication for ‘small footprint living’.
- The White Pube. Online ‘not boring’ art criticism.
- Folk Magazine. Online art publication platforming marginalised communities.
Online Resources & Courses:
- Netflix Party Chrome Extension. Allows you and your friends to watch Netflix together remotely & chat online in real time.
- Free Moog synthesizer app: The Minimoog Model D iOS app has been made free as a ‘gift to spread positivity, creativity, and expressivity.’
- Free KORG app: The KORG iKaossilator app (on both iOS & Android) has been made free for a limited time.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Claim 2 months free Adobe Creative Cloud access when you go to cancel your account.
- Database: Things to keep your brain active during isolation periods.
- The Deaf Society: Learn AUSLAN.
- Aboriginal Sydney MOOC: 10 hours of content explaining the Aboriginal origins of ‘Sydney’.
- Skillshare: Free one month trial of online courses taught by experts in an array of subjects.
- Duolingo: An app to help you learn 30+ languages via bite-sized lessons.
- Codeacademy: Free basic plan of online coding lessons.
- Ivy League Universities: Free online courses ran by Ivy League institutions.
LOOKING FOR INFORMATION?
- Alerts: Australian Government Department of Health coronavirus updates.
- Social distancing explainer: ‘Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially and how to “flatten the curve”‘
- Video: Coronavirus explained in 60 seconds.
- COVID-19: ‘Common questions and Community Care for the Vulnerable’.
- Guide: How to support your community during the COVID-19 crisis.
- FAQ: NSW renting and the COVID-19 crisis.
- World Health Organisation: COVID-19 advice & myth busters.
- ACON: Trans and gender-diverse people and COVID-19
- Soundcloud: ‘Keeping the Music Going During COVID-19’ – a collection of information and resources for music makers.
- The Brain Studios: Support and advice for musicians recording at home during isolation periods & reduced mixing and mastering rates.
- Explainer: How to support arts economies during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Template: Letter to landlord to ask for a rent freeze/reduction.
- COVID-19 Inner West Mutual Aid (Inner West Council Area, Sydney).
- COVID-19 Inner East Mutual Aid (Redfern, Darlington, Surry Hills etc., Sydney).
- COVID-19 Mutual Aid – Parramatta/Cumberland.
- Australian Arts Amidst COVID-19.
- Community Radio COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Response.
- Women with Disabilities Australia.
- Database of COVID-19 mutual aid Facebook groups.
- Nextdoor App: An app to connect people with their neighbours.
Image: Nicol Mouton
WANT TO HELP PEOPLE IMPACTED BY THE COVID-19 CRISIS?
Music & Merch:
- Bandcamp: Purchase music and merch to directly support artists impacted by event cancellations.
- Banding Together Compilation feat. Friday Park, Four in the Morning, honest dan + more. A compilation of releases by Australian artists raising funds for the Support Act COVID-19 Emergency Appeal.
- #lockdowngetdown. An initiative by The Cat Empire encouraging streaming of Australian artists to increase streaming revenue for artists impacted by event cancellations.
- #soundofsilence: Purchase a t-shirt to raise funds for the Support Act COVID-19 Emergency Appeal, and use the hashtag #soundofsilence to drum up support for the Australian music industry.
Petitions & Protests:
- The Australian Greens Campaign to protect renters and people with mortgages.
- Petition for the Australian Government to suspend mortgage, rent, bills & issue salary substitutes during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Petition: “Protect Our Communities: No Evictions During a Health Crisis”.
- Petition to protect and support casual tertiary education staff impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
- National School Boycott: Teachers, students and education employees boycotting/walking out of schools to protest the Australian government keeping schools open during the COVID-19 crisis. Mon March 23rd, 8:30AM.
- Online School Strike 4 Climate: Continuing weekly school climate strikes in an online capacity.
- Support Act COVID-19 Emergency Appeal. Accepting donations to support music workers impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
- Sex Workers Emergency Relief Fund. Supporting SWorkers in financial stress due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- The Exodus Foundation Ashfield. Accepting donations of non-perishable food items such as canned goods, porridge, muesli bars or noodle cups.
- The Food Pantry at Addison Road Community Centre. Accepting monetary donations, as well as donations of non-perishable food items from businesses and individuals.
- Inner West (Sydney) Community Database. A place for Inner West residents to log spare resources & belongings for other residents to access.
- Australian Red Cross Lifeblood. Make a booking to donate blood and/or plasma.
- RSPCA: Foster a pet while self-isolating.
- Inner West (Sydney) Community Volunteer Form. Volunteer to do grocery runs, drive neighbours to the GP, pick up medications, pet sit, or offer other types of assistance to people in the Inner West.
- #lettersforthefront. Write a letter of support to a healthcare worker.
- Newstart/Jobseeker Payments: Payments for people seeking work, and allowances for payment recipients impacted by COVID-19 isolation periods.
- Services Australia: One-off COVID-19 crisis payments for people receiving government payments.
- Australian Tax Organisation: Tax relief for people impacted by COVID-19.
- Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) Vouchers: Available for people struggling to pay for their utility bills.
- Qoctor: Online doctor service for consultation and prescriptions.
- Free meals for unemployed hospitality workers – The Oxford Tavern (Petersham) and The Taphouse (Darlinghurst).
Unions & Industry Activities:
- I Lost My Gig. Tallying lost income from event cancellations in the music industry.
- Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA).
- National Association for the Visual Arts (NAVA).
- Tenants Union of NSW.
- Australian Unions.
- Performing Lines: Opportunities, grants, jobs, online workshops and support links for artists during the COVID-19 crisis.
- The Vermillion Project: Participate in research to take to government to make a case for/optimise flexible working arrangements.
- National Coronavirus Helpline: 1800 020 080
- Support Act: 1300 731 303
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- QLife: 1800 184 527 (3pm to midnight every day; phone and online support).
- NSW Rape Crisis: 1800 424 017 (24/7 phone and online support).
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800 (24/7 phone and online support for people aged 5-25).
- Mensline: 1300 78 99 78 (24/7 phone support).
- Sexual Assault Counselling Australia: 1800 211 028